Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Back to School

I decided to apply for a part time position preparing kids for MCATs - a friend had suggested it and it seems a good idea. It would bring in some spending cash, give me something to do and it might even be fun. I visited the Princeton Review website and proceeded to fill out their questionnaire, submitted a resume and was about to nonchalantly click on the button that would send me to the admission test, when I paused. Would this be a test of my personal MCAT aptitude? When was the last time I took an MCAT anyway? Never. Hmmmm - maybe I should research this test before I fall flat on my face at the first step.
So, it was off to the library in search of MCAT practice test manuals. Now this, in itself, was quite an experience. Having spent many, many years studying, training and educating in science, one would assume I'd have detailed knowledge of the inner workings of libraries, yet in each of the institutions I've been at, I couldn't tell you where they are.
A remembered exchange when at Cornell;
Me (to an undergrad student working in the lab): Can you copy an article for me from the library please?
Her: What is it?
Me: It's a big building in the middle of campus with books in it.
I did, however, find an MCAT test book and proceeded to check it out - then I realized I'd have to check it out! I actually had a library card, since S had dragged in there some time before, and it turned out to be quite painless and easy.
Anyway, its just as well, since I clearly need some serious revision time before taking this application test. On the very first passage they got two of the seven questions wrong! Its gonna take some time to figure out just what kind of answers these morons are looking for. I'm gonna take a practice MCAT exam tomorrow morning - they better not question any of my answers.

No comments: