Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"You want me to hit you? What, like in the face?" "Surprise me!"

Steve: "Why don't you write one of those 'Things about me that might surprise you' lists that other bloggers sometimes do?"
Cali: "Nah. Been done."
Steve: "Well how about 'Things about me that might surprise myself'?
Cali: "Wow, that'd be pretty tough - gimme an example."
Steve: "Well, lets think ...... Okay, how about this; 'I've never seen the movie Fight Club'. How's that?"
Cali: "Get the fuck outta here dude! You've never seen Fight Club?"
Steve: "Right, we've never seen Fight Club. Surprising, huh?"
Cali: "Damn right it is! Didn't you know you'd love that movie? Didn't you read Chuck Palahniuk's 'Lullaby' just recently and loved it?"
Steve; "Yep, he's my kind of writer, like an american Irvine Welsh."
Cali: "And aren't you a big fan of Norton and Pitt? And, hey, doesn't Brad think he looks like you?"
Steve: "Both true. And yes, Fight Club may be one of the most cited movie in blogger profiles - whatever THAT means."
Cali: "So you haven't seen it why?"
Steve: "Because everyone else has? I've always been kind of like that - unless I'm one of the first there, its tainted somehow. Stupid really."
Cali: "So, are you gonna see it?"
Steve: "Some day, some day."

Well, that's a conversation that may have taken place a few days ago. On the last day of my All You Can Watch For Free DVD month I rented out Fight Club and watched it for the first time. It actually surpassed expectations - simply brilliant. Rarely does a movie resonate so strongly with me, Trainspotting comes to mind, to extend the analogy. Pitt and Norton were outstanding and Helena Bonham Carter was a revelation as Marla. Moreover, the central theme of the movie strikes a chord truer now than when Palahniuk wrote it and Fincher filmed it. Besides, i don't remember ever watching a movie again the next night and enjoying it in a whole different light (knowing the ending).
So now how do I surprise myself?

Cali: "So shall i add Fight Club to my blogger profile?"
Steve: "Ummm, actually you don't have a profile."
Cali: "Well shouldn't I be the one to have the profile and you the one to have the resume?"
Steve: "Hmmm, maybe so, maybe so."
Brad: "Hey, you do look like me! And, by the way, you just broke the first and second rules."

Note: The conversation between S and C was a literary device. I'm not actually schizophrenic. At least not as far as we're aware.

14 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Aren't schizophrenics usually the last to know?
Just sayin... ;)

I have never seen Fight Club either. Now I don't have to. LOL.

MoMo said...

Yeah, I was thinking of working your "fine line between divinity and schizophrenia" quote in there somewhere - it'll just have to wait. Oh, i guess i just did.

Carrie said...

great post! Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

lol...you're funny. I thought Fight Club was brilliant as well. It's refreshing to watch movies that have all those layers that come out the more you watch them. Once you get one layer, you can focus on the next one and see more than you had originally thought was there. Or maybe I just read waay to much into everything. Dave is always giving me shit for trying to figure things out during a movie or when reading a book. "Just let it take you on the ride" he says. Bah, my thought waves don't slow down enought for that.
Glad you enjoyed the flick.

SuperP. said...

That was good. It's exactly how I imagined you when you aren't here!

Leah has excellent taste in movies, btw.. and remembers absolutely everthing about them, she's a flick-nerd, totally. I love it! You want good movies? Ask Leah.

SuperP. said...

I did. I know. It is.

MoMo said...

Uh huh - I've seen Memento. At least i think I saw it, then i had to watch it again to make sure - then i wasn't quite sure, so i .......

NYPinTA said...

ha! That's comedy.

Cori said...

I've never drank a Zima. :)

SuperP. said...

What did you think of Chasing Amy, anyone?

fakies said...

Never saw Chasing Amy, but it is in my queue at Netflix. Loved Memento, freakin' loved Fight Club.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic
and so am I.

SuperP. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SuperP. said...

"How many does it take to have a quorum?"
"The very asking of the question suggests, my dear, that you either do not understand the definition or that your quorum has dispersed."
"Or my quorum has dispersed?"
"Yes. If you did, indeed, understand the definition, then you must have had a quorum and it must have dispersed."
"And, why would the dispersion of my quorum be a precursor for my asking of the question?"
"Precisely."
"There is no meeting."
"Yes."
"There is no answer."
"Yes. There must be a question if there is an absense of answer."
"Who asked the question?"
"You did."
"I did."
"There is only you, isn't there?"
"Yes."
"Therefore, you do not have a quorum."
"I don't. I don't?"
"Unless, of course, you do.." she smiled.
"Unless I do."
"Do you?"
"I suppose that I do."
"And," she smiled, knowingly, "Where are they all?"
"In my head."
"Are there enough members present?"
"Yes, I think so."
"Then, my dear, you have just answered your own question."
"I have, haven't I!"
"Which," she paused, "Is only possible do to, within your own quorum."
"Of course, dear Doctor! You're brilliant!"
"And who many does it take, my dear?"
the patient thought
"Or, more importantly, does it matter?"
"I'm not sure. Do you have a quorum?"
"Not at present. Those who make up my particular quorum are playing golf."
"That's a solitary game, now isn't it, for those who like quorums."
"Not if it's a foursome." she laughed.
"Yes, but they do disperse, don't they."
"Yes, mine do. And, yours?"
"No."
"Well here we are then. Lets begin. And while we are getting to know each other, maybe I should perscribe something for your quorum. How many will we be writing one out for?"

A future conversation with a future patient.
~The future Dr. Penny.

Would youuu hazard a seat on my couch, Dr. Cali fragile istic? ;)

MoMo said...

Brilliant! Lucky future patient.

You can call me "Super".