Thursday, April 21, 2005

Blogger is a jerk

Blogger is a jerk. Last night it started redirecting me to its home page when i clicked on certain links - after a while it wouldn't let me get to my own blog. I did get to one of my most frequently visited blogs (no doubt blogger was taking a much needed break from sustained jerkissitude) and then, being in a bad mood and apprehensive of a job interview (kinda) today, proceeded to leave a thoughtless, inappropriate and unnecessarily antagonistic comment on one of my favorite blogger's posts (sorry P). I went to bed in totally the wrong frame of mind in preparation for a job kinda interview.
I got up next morning, realizing I'd run out of my SSRI prescription and didn't have time to get it filled - nice start Steve. The interview was not so much an interview - a mutual friend had passed on my resume to someone at a local Biotech company - and we were to meet for lunch to "sound each other out". I got to the Biotech, waited in reception and shortly heard "Hi, you must be Steve." i turned and instantly both of us recognized each other. "We've met before." In unison. Within milliseconds I realized that the only time we could have met was at our mutual friend's party, one at which I'd gotten AMAZINGLY drunk, even by my extreme standards. Great, fucking great!
Lunch actually went okay, and for sure I didn't order a beer with it! I'm not holding my breath over the position - I've been rejected or, more often, never heard from them again, so often I don't really care anymore.
Apparently I'm also incapable of relearning organic chemistry for the MCAT teaching - its clear the human brain is not designed to assimilate the details of the Friedel-Crafts reaction after a certain age.
This post is so fucking whiney that I think I'll delete it soon.
Blogger is a jerk.
(edited)

4 comments:

SuperP. said...

I don't think you are a jerk by any standard you've set on Blogger. You are just a real person. Bitching and Whining happens to real people (..have you read my blog??). LOL! Steve, don't try to be perfect and don't worry if a little different side of you slips out here and there. You don't have to worry about disappointing people, unless you really are a completely different person and an actual A-hole. Which, I doubt. But, at least you are becoming more than the mystery scientist you once were. Don't delete.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, although, the interview with the party-guy made for a smile. I ran into a guy once who knew so much about me you'd think he'd had lived my life for me. I swore I had never met him. I'd met him three times. All while in my old favorite haunt. There wasn't a job up for grabs, but it was humiliating to have to keep telling him that I didn't remember and for him to keep reminding me of all these interesting and personal tidbits of information that I had shared over the last couple of months with him. I felt stark naked.

I can't imagine trying to learn organic-chem. Yuck!

No apology neccessary. Get your SSRI's but know this (like I'm sure you do), you aren't supposed to mix most of them with alcohol. And, if you asked your dr. about this interaction (like I did), you may want to have a think about that.

Nice to read you, finally. :)

Anonymous said...

yay, I'm glad I found you here with some personal blogging!

I hate interviews too, especially when they start off on the "wrong foot". I'm happy that the lunch went alright overall.

I'm with Penny on this: DON'T DELETE! I love bitching and whining. It's where you get to see that shadow of a person.

Anyway, I'll swing by and pick you up for the next Taiwanese rave party and you can let the trance take you away from it all ;)

MoMo said...

I was starting to wonder whether blogging was not such a good idea (for a number of reasons) - between the two of you you've reassured me it is - thanks so much.

NYPinTA said...

Whinning is totally allowed.
{cyber hug}
And a good {cyber kick} for blogger.